Sacramento Personal Injury Attorney Helping Victims of School Bus Accidents in California
In the United States, more than 23 million children ride on school buses every day. Most children return home safely, however, bus accidents do happen. Injuries can range from bumps and bruises due to a slip and fall accident, to a tragic injury resulting from a child being struck by an oncoming vehicle.
In all 50 states, motorists are required to stop when school bus lights are flashing. Unfortunately, this law is not always obeyed. Police officers throughout the country have found that drivers fail to obey this law, which may result in tragedy.
School bus accidents leave a lasting impression on any parent’s mind. Sacramento Personal Injury Attorney and you are reminded how important it is to promote school bus safety in the home. Here are a few safety tips to review with your children:
- Have a safe place to wait for your bus, away from traffic and the street.
- Stay away from the bus until it comes to a complete stop and the driver signals you to enter.
- When you exit the bus, walk at least ten steps away from the bus. This makes it a lot easier for the bus driver to see you.
- Use handrails to enter and exit the bus.
- Be aware of the traffic around you. Although drivers are required to obey traffic laws, they sometimes fail to do so. Protect yourself and be alert.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ("NHTSA") reports between 1995 and 2005, approximately 1,500 people lost their lives as a result of school bus-related accidents. Although a large majority of people killed were occupants of other vehicles, an average of 16 children are killed each year in school bus-related accidents. Most of the fatalities occurred to pedestrian children after school.
If your child has been injured in a school bus accident and you don’t know what to do, please call Sacramento Personal Injury Attorney now at 916-237-8527 or contact us online.